Sunday, June 21, 2026

Developing My YA Pedagogy: Reading with Passion, Purpose, and Complexity

 

One of the ideas from Buehler's first two chapters that most challenged my thinking was her argument that we often create a false binary between rigor and engagement. As an ELA teacher, I have long believed that students need opportunities to choose books that interest them and reflect their experiences. However, Buehler pushed me to think more deeply about what happens after students choose those books. She argues that YA literature should not be viewed as simply "fun reading" while classics are reserved for rigorous analysis. Instead, she advocates for a YA pedagogy that combines personal engagement, social interaction, and analytical thinking to help students become more capable and committed readers.

This position resonates strongly with my own experiences as both a reader and a teacher. Like Buehler, I became a lifelong reader because I found books that spoke to my life, interests, and questions. As a teacher, I can see my students engage more deeply when they encounter texts that help them feel seen, understood, and valued. Books such as And Then, Boom!, Messy Perfect, Fighting Words and Look Both Ways often generate richer discussions than texts students perceive as disconnected from their lives. At the same time, Buehler challenged me to reconsider the idea that student engagement alone is enough. She argues that YA literature must be paired with thoughtful instruction that fosters complexity, agency, and autonomy. Students should not simply enjoy books; they should learn to analyze them, discuss them, and connect them to broader questions about identity, society, and the world.

My developing YA pedagogy aligns closely with Buehler's vision of creating a classroom reading community. I believe students need opportunities to read independently, discuss books collaboratively, and see themselves as members of a community of readers. I was especially drawn to her idea that teachers should serve as "book matchmakers" who know both their students and the available literature well enough to connect readers with meaningful texts. As a middle grades teacher, I frequently recommend books based on students' interests, experiences, and reading identities. Buehler's discussion reinforced my belief that these recommendations are not just about increasing reading volume; they are about helping students develop positive reading identities and discover that reading can be both personally meaningful and intellectually challenging.

Another idea that influenced my thinking was Buehler's distinction between finding complexity and making complexity. Too often, complexity is reduced to Lexile levels or text difficulty. Buehler argues that complexity can be found in a text's language, structure, literary devices, themes, and characterization, but it can also be made through the ways readers interact with a text. This perspective resonates with my instructional philosophy because it validates the importance of student response and discussion. When students connect a novel to their own experiences, compare it to another text, or engage in meaningful dialogue with peers, they are creating complexity, not avoiding it. This idea reinforces my commitment to designing learning experiences that blend personal, social, and analytical reading practices.

When considering the distinction between middle grades and YA literature, I see important differences while also recognizing the value of both. Generally, middle grades novels focus on protagonists between the ages of 10 and 14 who are navigating friendships, family relationships, identity development, and the transition toward adolescence. These books often address important issues while maintaining a perspective rooted in younger adolescent experiences. YA literature, on the other hand, tends to feature older protagonists who are grappling with questions about independence, identity, relationships, and their place in the wider world. As Buehler notes, YA literature often centers on the question, "Who am I and what am I going to do about it?" and frequently includes a movement toward greater self-understanding and maturity.

Both middle grades and YA literature absolutely have a place in my developing pedagogy. Because I teach middle school students, many are in the space between these two categories. Some students still strongly connect with middle grades texts, while others are ready for more sophisticated YA themes and perspectives. I want my classroom library to reflect that range. Middle grades literature can provide critical mirrors and windows for younger adolescents, while carefully selected YA literature can challenge students to think more deeply about complex issues and multiple perspectives. Together, they create the "wide landscape for reading" that Buehler describes.

Ultimately, my developing YA pedagogy centers on the belief that reading should be both meaningful and rigorous. I want students to read books that matter to them while also learning how to analyze, discuss, question, and challenge what they read. Buehler's chapters reinforced my belief that student engagement and academic rigor are not competing goals. Instead, they work together to help students develop not only stronger literacy skills but also stronger reading identities. My goal is to create a classroom where students see reading as something that belongs to them—a lifelong practice that helps them better understand themselves, others, and the world around them.

Reference

Buehler, J. (2016). Teaching reading with YA literature: Complex texts, complex lives. National Council of Teachers of English.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading the World Through Where I Come From

  When I think about “cultural and historical locations,” I initially think about places on a map. The more I sit with the idea, however, th...